London Vaccination Clinic Spaces
35 New Broad Street, London
8 St Thomas Street
239 Kensington High St
Hanover Square, London
The Engine Room Battersea Power Station, 18, Circus Rd S, London SW11 8BZ
Rabies is an incredibly nasty disease. If you haven’t been vaccinated and you catch it, there is no cure. You could easily be dead within a few days and it’s a horrible way to go. This means rabies vaccination is absolutely essential if you’re travelling to a region or country where there’s a risk of coming in contact with the disease. It’s also worth bearing in mind that if you don’t get a rabies jab, your travel insurance policy won’t cover you if you get infected.
Rabies is common throughout the world but in places where street dogs and bats are common, like India, Brazil and Thailand, it’s common and vaccination is absolutely essential.
Rabies is a viral disease that affects the central nervous system and is usually fatal once symptoms appear. It is primarily transmitted through the bite or scratch of an infected animal, most commonly dogs, bats and monkeys. The virus is present in the saliva of infected animals and can enter the body through broken skin or mucous membranes. Rabies can also be transmitted if infected saliva comes into contact with open wounds or enters the eyes, nose, or mouth. It is crucial to seek immediate medical attention if you have been bitten or scratched or licked by an animal, especially if it is suspected to be rabid. Vaccination and treatment can be administered to prevent the development of rabies.
The symptoms depend on the type of rabies you contract. Hydrophobia – an irrational fear of water – is commonly associated with a form of the disease that affects 80% of people, called ‘furious’ rabies. The remaining 20% catch a paralytic form that results in muscle weakness, loss of sensation and paralysis but no fear of water.
The first symptoms are flu-like and can last for several days. Early signs include:
- Nausea and vomiting
- Agitation, anxiety and confusion
- Problems swallowing / excessive saliva
- Hallucinations and insomnia
- Partial paralysis
Vaccine name – Rabipur or Verorab Property – An inactive vaccine given by injection into the deltoid muscle of your arm.
Course – For pre exposure vaccination the vaccines are routinely given at day 0,7, and 21/28 days. Sometimes these can be given on a more accelerated schedule and your nurse will discuss this with you.
Booster – One year if working with animals/ high risk, our nurse will discuss this with you.
Side effects – Mild pain, redness or swelling at the site of the injection. People may also experience mild fever, tiredness and general aches and pains.
Special Certificate requirement – None
Special instructions – None
Long term after an initial course
£66 per dose
Wherever you’re going in the world, if you’re staying a long time or making regular journeys to and fro you’ll need to be vaccinated against rabies. Inoculation involves a course of three injections given over 21 – 28 days (3-4 weeks) so you need to give yourself plenty of advance warning.
If you’re going to be living or working somewhere with a rabies risk you’ll need a pre-exposure injection, which should be administered at least 14 days before you travel.
Whether or not you’ve been inoculated against rabies, if you’re bitten or scratched you need to seek medical attention within 24 hours. Time is of the essence because of the severity of the disease and because animal and human bites also come with all sorts of other infections.
You should immediately wash the wound with clean, hot running water and plenty of soap, then cover it with a clean dressing. If you’ve been given a primary course of rabies shots within the recommended time scale, medical staff will advise you about any booster shots you might need.
For urgent advice overseas, you can contact the HPA on 00442082004400
We provide rabies jabs – also called Rabipur, Rabies BP and Verorab – at our spotless, comfy clinic. Because we’re specialists in travel vaccinations of all kinds, you can rest assured you’ll get exactly what you need, when you need it. We’ll give you a warm welcome and you’ll be treated by an experienced medical expert who will also be able to answer your questions.
To minimise the risk of rabies:
Avoid wild animals: Stay away from wild animals, stray dogs, monkeys, bats, stray cats.
Seek medical attention for bites: If bitten or scratched by an animal, wash the wound with soap and water and seek immediate medical help.
A pre exposure vaccination is available.
Remember, rabies is a serious disease, and seeking professional advice is important.
Our London Travel Clinics
All 5 of our centrally located travel clinics are convenient for people living and working in London. Liverpool Street, London Bridge, High St Kensington, Battersea and Mayfair. We are open early morning, lunchtime, evening and weekends and provide all of the vaccinations and medications that you need.